Renzo Gracie fighting at 51: It seems surreal


Renzo Gracie

On July 27, 2018, ONE Championship will be rolling out the red carpet for a revered martial arts legend Renzo Gracie, 51, of Brazil is set to make both his comeback and promotional debut in the Singapore-based organization. He will face three-division King of Pancrase Yuki “Sora” Kondo, 43, of Japan at “ONE: Reign of Kings.”

Taking place at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila, “ONE: Reign of Kings” marks the ONE Championship debut of both Gracie and Kondo. The two martial arts legends had their face-off during the press conference at the City of Dreams Manila in Parañaque, Metro Manila, Philippines on July 24, 2018.

It was Gracie’s family who introduced the discipline known as the gentle art to the world as an essential component of mixed martial arts competition. Still going strong at the age of 51, he did not mince words about his excitement to wear four-ounce gloves for the first time in eight years.

“To be able to come back after all these years and do this again, it seems surreal to me,” Gracie quipped. “For me, I’ve always been talking about life and following your passion. Mixed martial arts and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are an avenue for me to exemplify desire, diligence, discipline, dedication, character, integrity, and pride for my culture.”

Gracie expressed his gratitude to ONE Championship chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong for extending his hand to host his return to action. Whether or not the Brazilian martial arts legend wins at “ONE: Reign of Kings,” he assured that it will not be his last ride in MMA.

“I believe I’m going to fight more,” Gracie stated, “I’m going to impress people with this fight, and they’re going to want me to fight more, so I will do it. This is not my farewell fight.”

While many people consider old age as a disadvantage in combat sports, Gracie thinks otherwise. He said, “The only thing that I know is that I’ll be a better man, I’ll be a better teacher, and I’ll be a better person in the sense of passing forward everything that I learn in there.”

Here are Gracie and Kondo at the “ONE: Reign of Kings” press conference:


For more updates on ONE Championship, please visit www.onefc.com, follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ONEChampionship, and like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ONEChampionship.

Comments

Popular Posts